Who can submit?
Only members of VHWSG in good standing may submit items for the exhibition and sale. Read here for information about joining the guild.
What can be submitted?
This is an exhibit of fibre arts including, but not limited to, spinning, weaving, felting, basket-making, knitting, crochet, nalbinding. If you wish to submit an art/craft not listed here and question its eligibility, please contact the committee.
Guidelines/standards for exhibit and sale items.
All items must conform to the following standards:
- No loose threads
- Items should be hemmed as appropriate
- Washed and pressed
- Seams well finished to protect against fraying
- Buttons, snaps or embellishments properly attached
- Fringes knotted and/or twisted appropriately (no fringes on baby blankets, please, for safety)
- Be an appropriate size for its intended use
- All items must have a tag indicating fibre content and care (see Hangtag), as well as price (see Entry fee, commission & pricing)
- The organizing committee has the final say on displays and the placement of items.
Entry fee, commission & pricing
- Each participant must pay a flat $20 entry fee that covers both the Exhibit and Sale.
- Members must submit an exhibit item (either for sale or solely for exhibit) in order to submit items for sale.
- Proceeds from items sold will be distributed back to the maker within 15 days. The Guild will collect all cash and credit payments during the sale. A 10% commission will be charged for all sales which covers processing fees.
- All items must have a Texere hangtag. These will be provided to all participants for a nominal fee.
Minimum prices for items (woven, knitted, crocheted, felted, etc.).
- Tea towels : $35
- Shawls: $95
- Scarves: $75
- Napkins: $15 each
- Place Mats: $20 each
- Table Runners: $60
- Rugs: Small $75 / Large $150
- Lap Blanket / Baby Blanket: $120 (no fringes on baby blankets for safety)
- Large Blanket: $150
- Hand spun yarn: $26 for 100 yard skein
- Anything not noted above will be priced individually with assistance from the Texere committee if required.
- Each member will be assigned a 2-3 letter designator (basically the initials of their name, expanding as needed to prevent confusion between members with close names). The list will be available for viewing at guild meetings and drop-ins. Otherwise, please contact the committee.
- Members will be instructed to use that 2-3 letter designator, plus each article gets a number (example, B Williams would have BW as designator, and if she submits 5 articles (does not matter, exhibit or sale), then she would have BW1, BW2, BW3, BW4, and BW5 as the item numbers.
- The form can be completed on-line and then printed off, or printed blank and completed by hand. Inventory Form
- To complete on line, you need to enter the Artisan Name and the Designator in the specified boxes. For instructions on the Designators, see Item Numbers.
- For each item you are entering into Texere, complete a row with item number and item description. The click off the relevant boxes for exhibit and sale, and add price.
- If you have more than 20 items, print off and start a new page.
- The text can be completed on line and then printed off, or printed off blank and completed by hand. The member must attach a photo in the designated spot. Artisan Bio
- To complete, type your name in the space provided, and then click on the large text box and start typing your bio. Please use Times Roman font, size 14, and keep it to one page’s worth.
- What should you write? Here are some suggestions:
- A short description of the artisan’s creations
- Any artistic insights or techniques employed by the artisan
- Any training, seminars, workshops, etc. in the craft (showing level of experience, etc.)
- Anyone or anything that has influenced the artisan’s creations, including a summary of the artisan’s creative philosophy
- Optional contact information for the artisan
- Sample of a completed Texere hangtag –.
- Instructions for completing your Texere hangtags
- Hangtags are available in groups of 10 for $1. They can be picked up at Guild meetings and Drop-ins, or by sending an e-mail to email@example.com. Artisans can attach personal hangtags, but must have the Texere ones also.
Collection of items
- Items will need to be brought to the designated collection sites along with the completed inventory list, artist bio with photo, and Texere hangtags.
- March 26 at the Guild Drop-In held at Community Living Victoria, 3861 Cedar Hill Cross Road, Victoria from 7 – 8:30 pm and
- March 30 at 1919 Fernwood Road between the hours of 11 am and 3 pm
Exhibit and Sale
Texere will be held at Goward House – 2495 Arbutus Road, Victoria, BC. Goward House is near the University of Victoria and the Queen Alexandria Centre for Children, and is easily accessed by bus and car. Parking is available. Link to mapquest
- Friday, April 12, 2019 – 5:00 pm – 8:00 pm Opening Reception
- Saturday, April 13, 2019 – 10:00 am – 5:00 pm
- Sunday, April 14, 2019 – 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
Guild members are encouraged to volunteer for various functions (retail, security, demonstrations, etc.) at the Exhibit and Sale. Sign-up sheets will be available at the Guild meetings in January, February and March 2019. Volunteer by contacting the committee.
- All items not sold must be picked up between 4 – 8 pm on Sunday, April 14, 2019, at Goward House, unless alternative arrangements have been made with and approved by the organizing committee.
- Artist’s Bio submitted, on paper, including photograph, must be submitted no later than March 30, 2019.
- Items for the exhibition and sale must be dropped off no later than March 30, 2019 (see Collection of items)
- Pick-up after the exhibition/show 4 – 8 pm on Sunday, April 14, 2019, at Goward House.